Steeltoe .NET Developer
This 2-day hands-on workshop is designed for .NET application developers responsible for working with and deploying ASP.NET applications on Cloud Foundry. Students will gain familiarity in Cloud Foundry concepts (applications, buildpacks, manifests, organizations, spaces, users, roles, domains, routes, services), how to publish and push .NET applications to Cloud Foundry, and how to bind and use services in .NET applications.
This course is built around using the Steeltoe set of frameworks. Steeltoe consists of a set of open source packages which simplify building enterprise-class .NET applications on Cloud Foundry.
Upon completion of this course, participants will have a solid working understanding of developing ASP.NET applications using the latest Steeltoe frameworks.
- Overview of Cloud Foundry
- Getting Started using Cloud Foundry CLI
- Development (logging, debugging, environment variables, manifests)
- Cloud Foundry Services (e.g. Databases, Messaging, etc)
- .NET Buildpack
- Microservices, PaaS and Cloud Native Design
- Centralized Configuration as a Service
- Service Discovery with Eureka
- Using Connectors to access Cloud Foundry provided services
- Using Circuit Breakers in your Microservices with Hystrix
- Securing your Microservices
- Horizontal scaling of your application
- Management Endpoints
- .NET developers who are interested in learning how to construct cloud-native .NET applications using the Steeltoe family of projects.
- .NET Core and ASP.NET Core
- Git and GitHub
- Cloud Foundry experience a plus
- A Windows or MacOS Laptop with local admin rights
- .NET Core SDK 2.0 installed
Download and install the appropriate version for your OS here: https://www.microsoft.com/net/core/
Confirm by typing `dotnet --version` from a command prompt. The response should be `2.0.0` or higher.
- Pivotal Cloud Foundry CLI installed
Download and run the installer for your OS here: https://github.com/cloudfoundry/cli/releases
- Access to a GitHub account
- If you don't currently have a GitHub account, sign up here: https://github.com/
- Visual Studio 2017 or Visual Studio Code
If you don't already have Visual Studio 2017 installed, Visual Studio Code is available as a free download here: https://code.visualstudio.com/
If you're installing VS Code for the first time, you may find it helpful to install the below extensions. Click View → Extensions to search for and add extensions.
- "C# for Visual Studio Code"
- "Cloud Foundry YML Manifest Support"