Pivotal Events Code of Conduct
Pivotal is dedicated to providing and promoting a safe and inclusive environment for everyone, regardless of gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, neurodiversity, physical appearance, body size, ethnicity, nationality, race, age, religion, or other protected categories. Because we don’t always know what might make someone else feel uncomfortable or unwelcome, these guidelines are meant to reinforce our values and clarify our expectations of all of those who participate in our community and events. They also define unacceptable behavior and provide instructions on what you can do if you see unacceptable behavior.
We each have different backgrounds and experiences. At Pivotal, we have three core values that we expect all to abide by: do the right thing, do what works, and be kind.
- Be considerate, respectful, and collaborative.
- Refrain from using any demeaning, discriminatory, or harassing behavior and speech.
- Be mindful of your surroundings and of your fellow participants. Many event venues are shared with members of the public; please be respectful to all patrons of these locations.
Unacceptable behavior may include, but is not limited to, the following:
- Harassment and discrimination, which includes: any verbal, physical, or visual conduct based on sex, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, transgender status, race, age, national origin, disability, or other protected characteristics; inappropriate use of nudity and/or sexual images in public spaces (including presentation slides); deliberate intimidation, stalking, or following; harassing photography or recording; sustained disruption of sessions, talks, or other events; and inappropriate physical contact, or any unwelcome sexual attention.
- Using any boisterous, lewd, or offensive behavior or language; using sexually explicit or offensive language or conduct; using profanity, obscene gestures, or racial, religious, homophobic, transphobic, or ethnic slurs; commenting about a person’s body or sexual activity; and discussing sexual activity.
- Wearing clothing that’s not suitable for a professional work environment, inappropriate, or otherwise potentially offensive.
- Possessing a weapon or any item that may be used to threaten or cause injury to others if used in a certain manner.
- Destructing or vandalizing personal property or the event site or materials.
- Possessing any open can, bottle, or other receptacle containing any alcoholic beverages outside of areas specifically designated for the consumption of alcohol; or being intoxicated, in any event venue or function, as determined by Pivotal or venue management. Please drink responsibly.
- Possessing any illegal substance. Pivotal does not tolerate the use or abuse of illegal substances anywhere in the event venues or hotels.
- Smoking, other than in designated areas.
- Assembling for the purpose of, or resulting in, disturbing the peace, or committing any unlawful act or engaging in any offensive behavior.
- Failing to obey any of the rules or regulations of the event venues or instructions of the event staff.
- Sharing your event badge with other individuals.
- Participating in any other illegal activity not already covered above.
Consequences of unacceptable behavior
We won’t tolerate unacceptable behavior. If a participant engages in unacceptable behavior, the event organizers may take any action they deem appropriate, up to and including expulsion from the event without warning or refund and, if appropriate, involving local law enforcement. Anyone asked to stop unacceptable behavior is expected to comply immediately.
How to report unacceptable behavior or a suspicious person/package
Remember: If you see something, say something. If you experience or witness an emergency, please contact local authorities. In North America, dial 911 immediately.
If you see something suspicious, would like to report a security issue, or have a complaint or concern about harassment, discrimination, bullying, or any other conduct that violates the Pivotal Events Code of Conduct, please inform any member of the Event Staff wearing an "Ask Me" t-shirt, who will then contact Kathryn Efird (Pivotal Global Events, Director).
You may also contact Pivotal’s external ethics hotline by telephone (855-729-4278 in the U.S., or 855-729-4277 outside the U.S.) or via secure web report at http://pivotal.ethicspoint.com.
After event hours, if you see something suspicious or would like to report a security issue, please call local authorities and email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank our attendees in advance for your help in keeping the event welcoming, respectful, and friendly to all participants.