Adopting PCF At An Automobile Manufacturer
The main idea for this talk is to show the audience how we implemented a microservice architecture based on Pivotal Cloud Foundry (PCF) in a corporate environment by avoiding monolithic applications, allowing shorter release cycles and enabling horizontal scalability with a multitude of teams. This case study covers project inception, conception, implementation and going into production. The goal is to share our experiences, ideas and gotchas on our path to digital transformation with PCF.
We start off by briefly describing our initial design ideas of moving away from a heavyweight application model to lightweight, flexible and scalable applications.
In the main part of the presentation we focus on the design and architecture of our PCF environment and our microservice applications. In this part, we discuss the following topics:
- How we set up our PCF foundations.
- How we enabled our teams and organized business services into PCF orgs and spaces.
- Our development stack that includes Spring Boot, Spring Cloud, and Spring Cloud Services.
- The need for shared services across space and org boundaries.
- Our application versioning concept and how we implemented it.
- The use of an API gateway component and how we implemented it.
- Patterns for backend integration.
- Zero downtime deployments.
In the last part, we speak about issues we experienced, lessons we learned, plans for improvement, as well as opportunities and enhancements for the platform.